2020 PBC Summer Junior Sweep Camp
COVID-19 Update: The health and safety of all members is the top priority of Potomac Boat Club. At this time, PBC aims to run the summer programming as described below. As new information comes in, PBC is prepared to adjust the program structure in line with government and expert recommendations.
Potomac Boat Club has a long tradition of developing young athletes into National Champions; National Team Members; World Champions; Pan-American Games Medalists; and even Olympians. The Summer Sweep Camp gives athletes the framework and tools upon which to build an international rowing career.
APPLY HERE: 2020 Application Link
Camp Dates: May 4th – July 31st
- Have your summer plans changed? We accept rolling applications until June 1st!
Camp Format: The program will begin in a virtual format with the possibility to transition to the water when health authorities and the PBC Board of Governors determines it is safe. The virtual format includes daily group-coached sessions over a virtual platform, functional lifting instruction, a core strength program, and a training program aimed to prepare athletes for the upcoming fall season.
- Out of town athletes are welcome to apply. They will remain on our virtual training program if the program returns to the water and will be included, via Zoom, in land based training.
Best Practices: Athletes will have additional access to virtual education tools on topics which include topics such as coxswain education, training tools, nutrition/hydration resources, and goal setting / sport psych tools.
- AM: Monday through Friday 8:00-10:30 a.m., Saturday 8:00 to 10:30 a.m.
- PM: Monday through Friday 5:00-7:30 p.m.
Roster: 24 athletes (12 men, 12 women)
Athletes will develop in the following areas:
- Technical Fundamentals
- Video review
- Core strength
- Weight room: technique and functional strength
- Nutrition and hydration strategies
- Goal setting and mental skills
- Race strategies
- Independence Day Regatta (IDR), Philadelphia, PA (July 3-5th)
- USRowing National Championships Camden, NJ
- (July 14-17th U17/U19 events, 17-19th U23/Senior events)
- Junior / U23 National Team Trials (cancelled)
Camp Fee: $800 for athletes / $250 for coxswains for virtual program. Participants will be pro-rated for the time they return to training on the water.
- All program related communication goes through the athletes. Athletes will be on an official program email list. It is their responsibility to check email regularly and communicate relevant updates to parents/guardians.
- Athletes earn their seat every day. Rowing is a meritocracy where effort, ownership, and consistent performance earns opportunities. This puts the athletes in the driver seat of their opportunities this summer. They will be held to standards and expected to meet and work towards them.
- Active participation. Athletes are expected to be active participants in their summer experience. It is the responsibility of the coach to provide a safe, transparent, and productive learning environment. There may be instances when an athlete has questions about aspects of the training and/or selection. It is the responsibility of the athlete to communicate with the coach.
- Transparency. The program will be structured to provide transparency in decision making around training, boating, and racing. We entrust the coaches to make and communicate these decisions based on cumulative data collection and observation.