Just when you thought we were living in Buffalo, spring arrives!Â The four-oar rule has been lifted, the Annual Meeting is around the corner, and W-L is already one deep in its race schedule … with a few wins, too!
With more people starting to use the club again, I wanted to send out the following safety tips, etiquette reminders, and general housekeeping practices, to get us all on the same page and safely into the spring season:
– If you havenâ€™t yet signed up for your new access code, please contact [email protected] to set up your new code.
– Early spring also means it’s still dark in the morning and early evening when many of us get out on the water.Â All shells must carry white lights fore and aft, before sunrise and after sunset.Â There are lights available by the logbook.Â Use them!Â Also make yourself easy to see by wearing light, reflective colors.
– Remember to follow the proper traffic patterns, and know where those rocks are … even when the buoys aren’t!
– When you’re finished erging, please wipe the machine and the surrounding floor area clean.Â I recently noticed many of our newest ergs with very filthy tracks â€¦ makes it feel like the seat is rolling on a gravel road.Â If you don’t find paper towels in the ballroom, then find some in the bathroom.Â If we’re out, then be creative â€“ don’t just leave a mess behind.
– And, finally, I couldn’t do one of these things without my usual in-one-ear-and-out-the-other reminder (to the Men, at least) to PLEASE take your post-workout gear home with you. Â We just completed the floor renovation in the back locker room and it smells much better back there – – don’t let your nasty gear hang around and ruin it.Â Â Soon weâ€™ll be going through and clearing out the junk on top of the lockers, so if any of it is yours, please remove it now.
After two blizzards and a flood, we’re due some quality water time, aren’t we?Â Respect the club and fellow members, respect the river and be safe.
Thanks.Â And see you at the Annual Meeting on April 7th!
President, Potomac Boat Club